This nail design took some time to take shape, I'm happy with the result though so I thought I'd share. A normal design usually takes me anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes to complete, depending on how long I need to wait for the layers to dry. This particular design though took me almost two hours! Not because it's a hard one, but because I was having a super crappy morning. It's very odd though, since painting my nails is like a therapy session for me where I get to forget my worries and focus on the design at hand. I guess it was just one of those days where everything kept going wrong. The colors wouldn't work together, the polishes wouldn't dry fast enough and everything was getting crazy messy. I had originally had another design in mind, and after a horrible trial that ended up with me removing it after 5 seconds... I decided to go for something along the lines of triangles. They indeed are my favorite shape, and not just because of that's Alt+J song.
What I used:
Seventeen Base Coat, Barry M "Lychee", Barry M "Watermelon", Seche Vice Top Coat, Scotch Tape, Needle Pin (stuck it to a pencil and made a dotting tool), Toothpick.
- Apply your base coat followed by your base color of choice. (I decided to go for a nude+ dark green combo, you obviously can pick any color under the rainbow. For the best result though, go for a light+ dark combo).
- Wait for it to dry. By "wait", I mean go watch an episode of House of Cards and come back.
- Cut tape into small square.
- Stick them on your nails diagonally, leaving the middle empty (which will be in the shape of a triangle).
- Apply your darker shade in the little gap that's left in the middle.
- Wait for it to dry. By "wait", I mean go watch another episode of House of Cards. It's a good show.
- Remove the tape carefully.
- With a dotting tool (I use a pin head stuck to a pencil and a toothpick, but you can obviously use proper tools) make big dots using your darker color on the lighter colored part.
- With a smaller dotting tool, make small dots using your lighter color on the darker colored part.
- Then use the same small tool to make a small dot inside the bigger darker colored dots to create little holes.
- Wait for everything to dry. No need to watch another episode of House of Cards here... two minutes max will do.
- Apply your favorite top coat, and clean up the edges.
If you try out this design, don't forget to share it with me on twitter/insta/facebook!